Weaving Has Caught My Eye !!


It has been a little over a year since I became interested in weaving. My friend of 20 years has been weaving for about 5 years. I have always admired her projects and thought how beautiful they were. I didn't think it was something that I would be interested in but over time my curiosity got the best of me. As I visited with her more and more about her craft my interest grew and I decided to start acting on it.

Last summer I bought a used Leclerc Nilus table loom with stand and treadles from the local guild. Excited was an understatement. I then began collecting all sorts of things to help me get my supplies built up to be able to handle the new projects that I wanted to try. The art of building a stash of things is something that I have been very good at over the years with my other hobbies. 

Deborah Chandler's video on Beginning Four Harness Weaving was were I started. I also have her Learning to Weave book so I was on my way.


Warping my first warp was fun and educational. I had chosen a sample to make that was 10" and approx 36" long. I followed the book and made various types of weaves so I could get the hang of throwing the shuttle and treadling.

Towels are my first goal. I decided on a simple plain weave towel pattern and thought thing would be a good start. Quickly, I learned that it is not as easy as it looks. My hang up seems to be with the dressing of the loom so I don't make a mess of my warp. Needless to say my towels did not go on as I had planned due to many glitches which are due to lack of knowledge and experience. I also found out about lease sticks and how valuable the are. I didn't have any. I do NOW !!!

At the point that I realized that the loom was dressed but was missing a few things and my warp was a rat's nest.....I cut off the warp. (I had been messing with it for a week and had had it). Since then I have been looking at a bare loom for the last 6 months. Feeling guilty and finally feeling brave enough I have decided to pick up where I left off.


So since I have gotten my loom I have also collected alot of books and DVD's from various sources to enrich my library and knowledge. My yarn stash is growing and I have another order on it's way!!! Still no finished product but I have to drive and passion to see this through.


Yesterday, I met with the local weaver's group to see about joining their group and setting up my loom at the studio. My goal is to get one on one classes this fall and winter so that I can carry on with my own projects without making a mess of things. The social interaction and knowledge that being part of this group will be invaluable. I look forward to meeting with them each week and observing and learning their craft.

Last night I stayed up watching some DVD's that I got about warping and loom prep. These are tremendous help for a beginner. This just helps me get more excited about dressing a loom successfully and seeing my project grow.
My goal is to get a bigger loom for my home. The smaller loom is going to the studio with me. It will be small next to some of the looms there, but the purpose is to learn how to do things with the experts there and not have the biggest/best loom in the studio.

My excitement is building just writing this blog about getting my new hobby started. This hobby will also be my release from my daily routine which is very tech intensive. I view this as my relaxing but challenging therapy. It will be my escape but also my chance to be creative.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadow Weave - new structure for me

Summer Over - Weaving Again

Time to play catch up!